Saturday, June 17, 2023

Liuhebafa Qigong Patterns

Liuhebafa (brief history of the form I practice)

Liuhebafa (known in Cantonese as Lok Hup Ba Fa), is one of the major internal martial arts from China. It is similar in some ways to taiji, though lesser known, especially in the West. The liuhebafa that I learned comes most directly from Liang Zipeng. Liang Zipeng was a recognized student of Wu Yi Hui who was likely the most instrumental figure in the wider transmission of this art. However, Liang Zipeng only learned the first half with Wu and he created his own second half from knowledge of other styles such as Yiquan, Xingyiquan and Baguazhang, The liuhebafa I learned is most closely related to the version his student, Moy Linshin taught, though there are other sources and influences in the version I am doing now.

Liuhebafa Qigong Patterns

To teach Liuhebafa, I have 'created' several small qigong patterns (drills). I say created, but these are really just isolated movements from the liuhebafa form that are modified only to make them more bilateral (done on both sides) and repetitive so that you can isolate and train certain movement patterns. If you were to learn these patterns, that would be enough to work on mobilizing the shoulders, ribcage, pelvis and spine while massaging the internal organs. This is the purpose of these qigong patterns. Practicing these patterns would also facilitate learning the liuhebafa form. I put these together for that reason, so that they can be practiced in my classes. But I also teach them in my online Zoom classes. I find these patterns are much more adaptable to online classes than the full form, although they are a useful element of live class. Click here for the class info.

Check out two of these patterns in the video below.







Facebook icon Google Search icon LinkedIn icon Instagram icon YouTube icon

No comments:

Post a Comment